The UK's Property Portal
Your complete resource forSelling, Buying & Movinghome

HouseWeb Harry
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

My HouseWeb
Manage your property

 Insurance Guide

Contents Insurance

Contents Insurance policies cover movable objects inside the house. There are so many different types of policies and you must therefore shop around to see which one suits you best. It is estimated that around 25% of all houses in the UK are not covered, taking the ultimate risk of a fire or burglary.

Contents Insurance normally protects you from:

  • Severe Weather - Storms, Lightening, Floods.
  • Theft and Vandalism.
  • Fire, Smoke, Explosions.
  • Subsidence.
  • Burst Pipes.
  • Civil Commotion.
  • Earthquakes.
  • Water or Oil Leakage.
  • Impact from Vehicles of Falling Trees.

Your policy will cover your possessions for up to a certain amount, either stated by you, or categorised by the insurance company. There are two main types of cover:

  1. Old-for-New - Items are replaced at their current market value.
  2. Indemnity Cover - The Insurance company will taken into account general depreciation.
Check which type of cover the Insurance company is proposing (obviously the former is a far better option).

Some policies have special features. These can include built in Legal Expenses, cover for possessions in your vehicle, food spoilage in freezers, garage cover, outbuildings cover etc. If you want to keep your insurance premium to a minimum, ask the insurer about leaving off special features, or try raising the excess. The policy may ask you to submit a contents list, with individual items over a certain value specifically priced. This varies with different insurance companies.


  • Work out how much your possessions are worth before shopping around for an appropriate policy.
  • If you are getting an Old-for-New policy, make sure to value your contents at their replacement value, not at their actual value.
  • When moving house, check with the insurer to see if your contents are covered, and inform them of the exact date(s) that the move is taking place.
  • Examine any limitations and upper limit pay-outs before purchasing the insurance.
  • Check whether computer equipment, bicycles and special valuables have to be insured separately.
  • If you are studying away from home (e.g. at college/university), check to see if your parents house insurance covers your possession - you may find it does.
  • Check whether you are covered for accidental damage.
  • Do not give any false information when apply for insurance. This will make your policy invalid when trying to make a claim.
  • Don't underestimate the value of your contents - you will be the only one to lose out in the end.
  • Check your policy frequently and update it if necessary.
  • Check your Excess limitation, especially for money, valuables and single articles.
  • When getting quotes, state whether your house is alarmed, has lockable windows, double glazing or any other security features. Try to negotiate a discount on the strength of any of these.
  • Always read the small print and documentation. If you don't, you are leaving yourself open to the insurer's opt-out clauses.

EPC Special Offer
Only 65

The HouseWeb Guide to Selling your Home
Free eBook

Selling Your Home?

Want To Save Commission Fees?
CLICK HERE to find out about our award-winning service.

Customer Testimonials

What the Papers Say

"Excellent service. Wins five stars for usability and value for money"
Sunday Times

"Pioneer of property selling online"
The Independent

Daily Telegraph

home | about us | press room | terms of use | privacy policy | affiliate program
Property for sale in the UK | Property to rent in the UK{{111}}.js