Email This Page to Someone!
  HouseWeb Discussion Forum
  Buying a House
  Redrow Roofing Problems

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Redrow Roofing Problems
i_hate_redrow
posted 10 January 2005 09:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for i_hate_redrow     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A large number of houses (approx 50%) of the houses on the estate I live on lost roof tiles in the high winds over the weekend. Whilst I accept the winds were quite high, very few other houses in the area lost any tiles at all. Every time there is any moderate to high winds, some house loose tiles.

The majority of the houses affected lost tiles from the hips (sloping ridge). Where tiles were lost, it was generally from the whole hip.

The houses were built by Redrow (Lancashire) and are from the 'Heritage' Range.

Redrow are refusing to take any action, instruction affected homeowners to claim off their household insurance. I do not see why home owners or insurance companies should foot the bill for shoddy work by Redrow and/or their subcontractors.

Does anyone have similar experiences of Redrow?

What is the best way to take action against Redrow? (The NHBC have been less than helpful so far)

pgc
posted 21 January 2005 10:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pgc     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have a hertigate redrow range house and live in the midlands. Came home last night to find we have lost tiles from the same area of the house. This has cause damage to our Car. Spoke to Redrow and NHBC and they were not interested as it was an act of god.

However we and several neighbours had the same problem 10 months ago and Redrow came and replace the tiles and told us the problem was that tiles had a film on them that made them not stick correctly to the roof.

i_hate_redrow
posted 23 January 2005 10:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for i_hate_redrow     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
There appears to be a common problem with the design/construction of the roof tiles on the redrow heritage range. The story was in our local paper and we have been contacted by people from 4 other Redrow estates with the same problems.

Were many other houses affected?

Are you still in the first 2 years of the NHBC guarantee? If so make sure you complain that none of the tiles are fitted correctly (not just the ones that fell off) you must do this in writing. Doing this will give you better cover for the remainder of the 10 year NHBC guarantee.

e-mail me on i_hate_redrow@tiscali.co.uk and I will send you further details.

sharastani
posted 16 February 2005 10:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sharastani     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

There is development in the West Midlands where they are building heritage and harwood properties on the site.

I have been told that they have stopped progressing some harwood properties that are at roof level and continuing with building others that are at an earlier stage.

I wonder if this is related?

andrewpiccadilly
posted 23 February 2005 08:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for andrewpiccadilly     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pgc:
I have a hertigate redrow range house and live in the midlands. Came home last night to find we have lost tiles from the same area of the house. This has cause damage to our Car. Spoke to Redrow and NHBC and they were not interested as it was an act of god.

However we and several neighbours had the same problem 10 months ago and Redrow came and replace the tiles and told us the problem was that tiles had a film on them that made them not stick correctly to the roof.

I am in the process of buying a Hawthorn house (part of Harwood range) and concerned re roofing problems outlined here. Does anyone have more evidence that there is an inherent design/construction fault with these houses. Has anyone been told why they have discontinued this range of houses? In particular pgc - do you have details of person from Redrow who told you there is a film on the tiles that makes them not stick?
You can email me at: mcrguy10@hotmail.com

i_hate_redrow
posted 10 March 2005 09:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for i_hate_redrow     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Quick update so far (just in case anyone is interested).

Redrow have agreed to do some work to some houses and have even put up scaffolding on 3 houses - however to date, no actual work has taken place - it is now over 2 months since the latest problems and Redrow have done NOTHING - if you are thinking of buying a redrow house - think twice!

kaz101
posted 10 June 2005 07:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kaz101     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We bought a house from Redrow in December and the snag list was several pages long. They promised to get everything sorted by mid-January but after letters to head office and several calls they actually completed the snag list last week! Only 5 months later than planned!

Karen